The "bible" is less than helpful here ... loosen the nuts, align the nuts ...
Uh. Yeah ... pretty much figured that out all by myself. <G>
One thing I found out - sounds like more work, but you're better off if you loosen up the rubber bumpers towards the back of the lid on the sides, and remove the gas shocks before trying to align the hinges. Hardest part was getting the front corners to line up properly ... get those right, and the rest just kinda follows. Adjust the striker height so the lid follows the fender line evenly, then reattach the shocks and adjust the bumpers just enough to apply tension on the striker and keep the lid from bouncing when closed.
Don't mess with the threaded rod on the hinge unless you have to, and keep track of the number of turns if you do try to adjust that. Doesn't take much to make a big difference there.
1999 Aurora Classic - Production Date 31 OCT 1998 - I call it "Bob" ...
They say she comes on a pale horse ... but I'm sure I hear a train ...
Post by ohiobuckeye on Dec 28, 2015 8:54:33 GMT -6
Seems to be a fairly common problem, at least on Classics. I know mine sits a little proud of the quarter-panel same area as yours. It doesn't leak so its just an aesthetic thing. Gonna leave it be as I figure to have a 10% shot at making it right, and a 90% shot at making it worse.
When a true genius appears you will know it by this sign; That all the dunces are in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
The threaded rod is the adjustment for up and down at the window edge. This is adjusted first , then you loosen the two nuts holding the hinge in place to make the end of the lid close alignment with the tail lights. Finally the last adjustment is the latch and rubber bumpers to center the trunk in the opening and level out the seam at the rear. As SKIZO said keep track of your turns on the threaded rod , it does not take much, and I always use tape to mark my hinge locations so I can see how much I move things around. None of this is hard , I realign all my panels when I get a new car and repeat when necessary. If the rubber seal is loose you can just bend the metal that it clips to so that you get a good seal. I do not think water intrusion has been a problem for 1st gen models. If your panel alignment is way off you may have to adjust the seal as well. Not a bad job for a spring day. Rich In Buffalo